Goodbye, shuttles. Hello, trains. The return of the orange line is welcomed with the hope that the T service will improve.

“I’m so glad to be back,” said Wayne Haley, a 59-year-old construction worker from Mattapan, as he boarded the first Orange Line train northbound from Forest Hills station in 5:15 a.m. “I was getting killed with my parking car.”

Over the past month, MBTA employees and contractors have been working to replace track and signal infrastructure along the 11-mile line in part to allow trains to operate safely at full speed – an improvement that won’t happen for about a week once the new parts settle in and are inspected.

During the shutdown, shuttle buses replaced Orange Line service from Malden to Jamaica Plain, with the Green Line serving as a connection through downtown Boston. The diversion doubled and tripled commuter travel times, even though shuttles were available at most stops every few minutes.

Despite some delays and complaints about trains moving slowly on recently repaired tracks, most riders welcomed the return of the orange line on Monday.

For Haley, it costs $25 a day to park on Huntington Avenue near his job site, plus gas, he said. On Monday, he took the train for 15 minutes to Massachusetts Avenue station. Now he can wake up later, grab a seat on the train and relax, Haley said, with his lunch box on the seat next to him.

“I missed it. A lot of people missed it,” he said. “I was heartbroken when they shut it down.

The highly anticipated return of subway service comes as the MBTA works to comply with dozens of actions required of the Federal Transit Administration, which began inspecting safety at the T after a long series of incidents, including the dragging death of a Red Line passenger in April.

Earlier this summer, before it was finished with a final report, the FTA ordered deferred maintenance of the T address on the Orange Line, specifically in an area near the Tufts Medical Center station that had a limitation. of speed in place for years. T chief executive Steve Poftak said the agency is planning more limited closures of parts of the green and red lines to carry out similar work. The Green Line D branch, which departs from Riverside and Kenmore stations, will close for three nine-day periods beginning Saturday.

Commuters waited to board an Orange Line train entering Boston from Oak Grove.Carlin Stiehl for the Boston Globe

“At this time, no final decisions have been made on future diversions other than those already announced,” MBTA spokeswoman Lisa Battiston said in a statement.

Several users of the orange line said Monday that they were ready to undergo the shutdown of a month to allow essential repairs.

“I prefer to let them fix it,” Karen Thibault said at the Oak Grove station. “Instead of me being on the train and it catching on fire or something.”

Thibault arrived at the rig more than two hours before her 8 a.m. appointment at Brigham and Women’s Hospital to ensure there was time to change plans should anything go wrong.

She said the Orange Line appeared to be in better shape but had no idea what improvements were being made behind the scenes. For her, the shutdown was an indication of what might happen next.

“I think that’s the first stop to come, because as you go deeper into other areas that they’re responsible for, they’re going to say, ‘Oh my God, we have to do this now, we have to do this now’. said Thibault. “We will. Do it and fix it.

Not everyone was happy to see the shuttles leaving. Some passengers complained that the subway ride was bumpy and slow, and the seats were uncomfortable, compared to the soft seats on the shuttle. A trip the full length of the Orange Line from Oak Grove to Forest Hills on Monday morning took an hour and three minutes, up from about 40 minutes before the stop, according to travel time data tracker TransitMatters.

Steve, General Manager Poftak was among those resuming their normal commute on Monday morning. At around 7:20 a.m., he boarded an Orange Line train at Forest Hills, chatting with other passengers.

Mayor Michelle Wu greeted Johnny Hennessey on the Orange Line heading to Boston from Forest Hills.David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

“Yes, I’m the general manager,” he told a man. “Glad to be back,” the man said. “We’re also excited to be back,” Poftak replied with a smile behind his face mask.

Throughout his journey from Forest Hills to Tufts Medical Center, Poftak highlighted the improvements the T has made during the month-long shutdown.

“Subjectively,” he said as he arrived at the Tufts Medical Center station, “it’s smoother.”

Before leaving Forest Hills, Poftak told reporters that everything was “going well” on the first day the Orange Line was back in service.

“We opened after 30 days as advertised, which we are delighted to offer our customers,” he said.

There were some issues to be resolved for Orange Line passengers on Monday morning with wait times of up to 15 minutes and as short as three minutes in some cases.

“As our dispatchers get back up to speed, we’ll get better at spacing,” Poftak said. “This morning there are some growing pains here, but it’s something we’ll get over.”

Mayor Michelle Wu and Boston Street Leader Jascha Franklin-Hodge shuttled the Orange Line from Forest Hills Station to City Hall on Monday morning. The couple praised the shiny new handles on the stairs and the overall cleanliness of the station as they made their way to the platform.

“New train, yes!” Wu exclaimed as the train pulled to a halt around 8:25 a.m. All 10 trains running the Orange Line on Monday morning were shiny new models, according to an online tracker from TransitMatters. More high-tech trains replace rusty and obsolete trains destined for scrap.

The train felt like it was sliding along the tracks easier than before the shutdown, Franklin-Hodge said, although it is still moving slowly in various areas that will take about a week to clear.

“We have a long way to go,” Wu said of the train frequency.

Franklin-Hodge said the city will monitor how the MBTA’s track improvements are being made during the shutdown impact delays, and whether or not those who have switched to bikes or commuter rail will stick with those. fashions.

Nearly 59,000 free 30-day Bluebikes passes were claimed during the shutdown, Franklin-Hodge said. The city is determining which temporary bus lanes and bike lanes it put in place for the closure will remain.

“Ultimately, the past 30 days has shown us what’s possible when we reconfigure the streets to support public transit,” he said. “You don’t want all of this to go away.”

With no fewer than 200 shuttles on city streets and the Orange Line back in action, Wu said, “We are moving in the right direction.

Over the past month, Danielle Mandosa-Gori, a nurse at Mass. Eye and Ear, said he took the commuter train to Gare du Nord to get to work. It was less disruptive than the shuttles, she said, but it came with its own challenges.

“Other people have had it worse than me,” she said. “But having to be kept at a specific time with the commuter train is a pain. You know, if you miss a train, you’re gonna wait 45 minutes for the next one.

She said she was cautiously optimistic the service would be better than before the shutdown, but said it was a toss-up.

A 20-year veteran of the T, Mandosa-Gori said “it wasn’t always so awful”, but the service deteriorated for years.

“Even before this shutdown was announced, I was ready to throw in the towel and find another way to work,” Mandosa-Gori said. “I mean there aren’t a lot of options when you work in Boston. It’s either pay $50 a day to park or take the train.

Commuters boarded an Orange Line train entering Boston from Oak Grove.Carlin Stiehl for the Boston Globe

Commuters arrived at the Oak Grove MBTA station for the morning trip to Boston from Oak Grove on the MBTA Orange Line.Carlin Stiehl for the Boston Globe

Taylor Dolven can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @taydolven. Alexander Thompson can be contacted at Follow him on Twitter @AlMThompson Daniel Kool can be contacted at Follow him on Twitter @dekool01.

Leave a Comment