Felony charges filed against Miles Bridges of Charlotte Hornets for domestic violence and child abuse

LOS ANGELES — Charlotte Hornets restricted free agent Miles Bridges faces three domestic violence charges after he was charged with assaulting his girlfriend in front of their two children last month, the county prosecutor said Tuesday. Los Angeles.

District Attorney George Gascon said his office filed one count of injuring the parent of a child and two counts of child abuse in circumstances or conditions likely to cause bodily harm. serious or death. According to the prosecutor’s statement, the case “includes an allegation of causing serious bodily harm to the victim of domestic violence.”

Bridges is expected to be arraigned Wednesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

“Domestic violence creates physical, mental and emotional trauma that has a lasting impact on survivors,” Gascon said. “Children who witness domestic violence are particularly vulnerable and the impact on them is immeasurable.”

Bridges was arrested June 29 by Los Angeles police and later released on $130,000 bond.

Bridges’ agent, Rich Paul, could not immediately be reached by The Associated Press for comment Tuesday evening.

Mychelle Johnson, the mother of Bridges’ two young children, posted several photos to Instagram on July 1 of what appeared to be injuries and a medical report that read “adult victim of physical abuse by male partner; Assault by strangulation, concussion; Closed nasal bone fracture; Contusion of a rib; Multiple bruises; Neck muscle sprain.”

She didn’t mention Bridges by name, but wrote on Instagram: “I hate it’s come to this but I can’t keep my mouth shut anymore. I allowed someone to destroy my house, kill me abuse in any way possible and traumatize our children for life. I have nothing to prove to the world, but I will not allow anyone who might do something so horrific to have any remorse and paint a picture of something that I am not. I will not allow the people around him to continue to silence me and continue to lie to protect this person.”

The LAPD said at the time of Bridges’ arrest that it does not release police reports on domestic violence arrests. The case is still under investigation by the West Los Angeles branch of the LAPD.

The 6-foot-7, 225-pound deck was the Hornets’ top scorer last season, averaging 20.2 points and seven rebounds in his fourth NBA season. The Hornets had extended Bridges a qualifying offer before his arrest, which allows them to match any offer sheet made by another team.

The Hornets released a statement after Bridges’ arrest saying they were reviewing the situation, and an NBA spokesperson said the league was “gathering more information.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment