With a deadline looming, MLB submitted what was billed as a final offer for an international draft on Sunday, sources told ESPN.
The league has increased the amount of money that would be guaranteed to the top 600 international players by $10 million, from $181 million to $191 million, sources said. But the two parties remain far apart and the prospect of an agreement seems unlikely.
It’s unclear whether the MLB Players Association would submit another counter on Monday, or whether the union would take MLB’s latest offer seriously enough to put it to a vote among its player executives.
MLB had remained at $181 million since its proposal in March, when the collective bargaining agreement was ratified and both sides agreed to file a decision on an international draft through July 25. The MLBPA’s first counter on July 8 was asking for at least $260 million. . The MLBPA stayed there in its last against Saturday, a reaction, in part, to MLB not budging from $181 million a week earlier.
If the international draft is accepted, the qualifying bid system — whereby teams lose draft picks as compensation for signing certain mid-to-higher-level free agents each offseason — would be dissolved. If no agreement is reached, the current system of qualification offers and the international market would remain as it is, the latter being a concern throughout the industry due to widespread corruption.
MLB and MLBPA also disagree on how slots work (MLB is adamant about hard slots, whereas MLBPA has previously proposed that slots act as minimums) and the maximum that can be paid out. to undrafted free agents (MLBPA wants $40,000, MLB stays at $20,000). The MLBPA is also unhappy that the league is not agreeing to a proposal that would increase bonus pools if the number of international signings drops, among other things.
The two sides could theoretically agree on an extension, but that seems unlikely from Sunday evening.