Kid Cudi stormed off stage during his set at the Rolling Loud festival in Miami on Friday after the rapper was pelted with water bottles by onlookers.
The Grammy-winning rapper was chosen to headline the hip-hop festival after Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, has retired from his headlining spot. In videos posted to social media, Cudi can be seen performing on stage as fans throw what appear to be water bottles and other items at him. In one of the videos, Cudi is punched in the face with one of the objects.
“Yo, I’ll leave this scene if you throw one more (expletive) thing here. I’ll leave, I’ll leave right now,” Cudi said. “I don’t play (expletive), you’re going to ruin it for everyone. I’ll leave (expletive) if I’m hit by one more thing (expletive), if I see one more thing (expletive) on this stage ( swear word).”
Related:Kid Cudi wears floral dress on ‘SNL’, pays tribute to Kurt Cobain and Chris Farley
When another bottle of water was thrown at Cudi, the “Do What I Want” emcee left the stage, abruptly ending his performance.
USA TODAY has reached out to Kid Cudi’s rep for comment.
Rolling Loud addressed the incident in a statement posted on Twitter Saturday.
“Rolling Loud is a family. Our fans, artists and everyone involved need to look out for each other,” the tweet read. “Share the love and be respectful to everyone. We love you, Cudi.”
On the road:Watch Taylor Swift Join HAIM On Stage For A “Mashup” Of “Love Story” And “Gasoline”
‘Justice’:Justin Bieber resumes world tour after Ramsay Hunt diagnosis
Ye makes a surprise appearance with Lil Durk at Rolling Loud
Although he had already dropped out of the festival, Ye still showed up and made a surprise appearance on Friday, joining Lil Durk on stage. The two recently collaborated on Cardi B’s track “Hot S—.”
Wearing a black hoodie, ski sunglasses and black makeup, Ye performed “Father Stretch My Hands, Pt. 1” with Cudi, from his 2016 album “The Life of Pablo.”
“just 2 Chicagoats,” Lil Durk wrote in an Instagram post after their performance, referencing their shared hometown of Chicago.
Ye was originally slated to headline Miamis Rolling Loud alongside rappers Future and Kendrick Lamar, but on July 17, the festival announced that “due to circumstances beyond our control”, the emcee “Donda” would no longer play.
“We looked forward to Ye headlining Rolling Loud Miami 2022. We spent months working with him and his team on the performance,” said Rolling Loud co-founders Tariq Cherif and Matt Zingler, to Deadline and Variety at the time. “This is the first time a headliner has made it on our show and while we don’t take it lightly, we wish him the best.”
Travis Scott joins Future for his first festival appearance since Astroworld
Travis Scott joined the Rolling Loud Future headliner on Saturday, marking his first major appearance at the festival since the Astroworld tragedy in 2021.
Scott and Future performed their trap single “Hold That Heat”, released in April. In videos posted to social media, Scott can be seen jumping on stage as pyrotechnics erupt behind him and fans chant.
In November 2021, a wave of crowds at Scott’s Astroworld music festival in Houston led to a mass incident, in which 10 people were killed and hundreds injured. Despite ongoing lawsuits and ongoing controversy, Scott has continued to rise on stage, performing at the Billboard Music Awards in May and securing a spot at the Barcelona-based Primavera Sound music festival for November.
Travis Scott will headline Day N Vegas, first appearance at an American music festival since Astroworld
Also:Travis Scott Set to Give First Big Performance Since Astroworld Festival at Billboard Music Awards
In March, Scott announced a $5 million initiative dubbed “Project HEAL” which he says will be a “catalyst for real change” in healing in the wake of Astroworld.
“Over the past few months I have taken the time and space to grieve, reflect and do my part to heal my community,” Scott wrote in an Instagram post at the time. “Most importantly, I want to use my resources and my platform to move forward towards real change. This will be a journey of a lifetime for me and my family.”
Astroworld Deaths:Victims were just 14 years old in ‘multiple casualty incident’ at Travis Scott festival
After:Travis Scott announces $5 million plan for ‘meaningful change’ after deadly Astroworld concert
Contributor: Hannah Yasharoff, Elise Brisco